Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Angels in Heaven

A sweet little girl named Layla Grace became an angel this morning. I’ve never met this little girl, or her parents, but she has touched me in ways I never thought possible.

So many of us are connected through social media, whether it’s Facebook, MySpace, or Twitter. I love Facebook because it’s given me a chance to reconnect with so many friends and ex-coworkers who I otherwise would probably never have talked to again. Twitter is something that I found myself making fun of for months; well, now I’m one of its biggest fans. It’s my outlet for bitching, telling jokes I would NEVER post anywhere my family would see, and just being me.

Twitter is where I “met” Layla Grace. More accurately, Layla’s mom. Layla passed away from stage 4 neuroblastoma at the tender age of 2 years. I’ve been following Layla’s mom and each heartbreaking tweet along the way. Some would think it morbid to read such heartache, my husband included. He can’t understand why I invest so much energy and feeling into “perfect strangers”. I used to feel that way, too. Now it’s a way for me to reach out to others who may be feeling the loss that I feel, maybe a way for me to possibly help someone else.

I’ve thought of Layla and Maggie all day, two perfect angels in heaven. In heaven, there is no pain, no suffering, only pure joy and happiness. I pray that Layla’s parents and sisters find peace and that they know how loved they are. They have an unbelievable support system of friends, family, and perfect strangers holding them up.

My girl Marcie said it best: At least we know Layla has one amazing playmate in heaven. And as much as I miss my Maggie, knowing that makes me happy and gives me some peace.

3 comments:

  1. Kelli - Sometimes in the world we live in we easily get caught up in the little, petty things. Now, I havent been through anything close to what you've been through, or what Layla's mom is now going through, but its when I think of you all & your sweet angels that Im brought back to the important things in life. For that I am so grateful because we all need a reminder sometimes. I know Maggie & Layla are now having eternal fun. You continue to be one of the strongest women I know & I love you xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that was the first thing I thought of too. I'm betting your sweet Maggie was there to welcome her. Knowing how connected you two were (are), she knows Layla is an important girl.
    I hope this is ok to say but I felt such relief today knowing she is finally at peace. I'm praying fiercely for her parents but so so grateful she isn't suffering any longer.
    May she and Maggie enjoy their eternity of playdates where ever they are - and while always by their parents sides.
    Much love girl.
    -Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcie - love you so much, my friend.

    Caroline - I feel the same way about sweet Layla finally being at peace. Those last few tweets were just too much to bear and it just sounded like it was brutal for all of them.

    Much love to you as well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete